Sunday, July 17, 2011

Huit à Huit



Just down the block from me is a little convenience store, it’s called the huit à huit (the eight to eight) because it is open, as you can imagine, from 8 am until 8 pm. It’s also the only thing open on Sunday (which is usually when we run out of milk). Imagine a 7-11 without the prepared food and combined with a liquor store, all of which fits neatly into a large walk-in closet. My new hobby is playing "where the hell are you from" with the owner. He doesn't know what my nationality is, and it seems to be driving him slowly mad. I have never, EVER, spoken anything but French to him, but he has decided I am not French and is intent on figuring out what country I am from. He has already guessed Canada and Belgium, to which I said ‘non’. Tonight he guessed Switzerland. I simply smiled,said ‘non monsieur’ and waved goodbye as I left.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I would be so proud of myself for speaking fluent french like that to someone and them NOT knowing where I was from. I hope to hear updates on this!

    ReplyDelete