Friday, February 4, 2011

Where's The Beef? (or more accurately, what's wrong with this beef?)


So, I noticed something about the beef here in France. Its definitely not as tasty as it is in the United States and this includes all forms of beef: steak, hamburger, etc. It has this odd aftertaste that at first, I couldn't place. Then we had a visit from my brother in law, Randy, a vet with the WHO (that's the World Health Organization people, not the rock group) and he clued me in to this fact: cows in Europe are mostly grass fed, while cows in the United States are mostly grain fed. In fact, I have an American friend here whose father in law is a cattle farmer and he remarked to her once that he could not believe Americans grow corn, just to feed to animals that are going to be slaughtered. But I digress. Anyways, after Randy's visit, I could finally describe what the weird aftertaste of my beef was. In short, it tasted like, grass. Really. So, it would seem the old adage 'you are what you eat' is true. Now whenever DH goes to do the big comissary shop in Belgium, he stocks up on hamburger. I'll use locally purchased beef for stews and dishes with sauce on them, but if I want a big, juicy burger, I'll use the American beef we keep in our freezer. It just tastes better.

No comments:

Post a Comment